The S.R. 56 corridor just west of I-75 continues to be the hottest area in what we like to call Wesley Chapel.
Here’s a few projects picking up steam:
* On the north side of S.R. 56 between Bahama Breeze and the Hyatt Place Hotel & Conference Center, a La-Z-Boy furniture store has broken ground.
Headquartered in Monroe, MI, La-Z-Boy is best known for its recliners, although it offers a complete line of furniture.
The Wesley Chapel store will be 13,650 sq. ft., and will soon have company, as a 15,664-sq.-ft. parcel is being developed for retail/restaurant.
The nearest La-Z-Boy showroom is located on N. Dale Mabry Hwy., and there also are locations in New Port Richey, Brandon and Clearwater.
La-Z-Boy will be the fifth furniture store to open in roughly a 4-mile stretch on S.R. 56, joining Rooms To Go (intersection of S.R. 56 and BBD), Ashley, Haverty’s and the 70,000-sq.ft. El Dorado Furniture, which has not yet begun construction in Brightwork Crossing (next to the new Wawa, where 54, 56 and Wesley Chapel Blvd. meet).
* Main Event, which will offer bowling, laser tag and a restaurant/bar, and the KISS-themed restaurant/bar Rock N’ Brews are both under construction on S.R. 56, east of the Tampa Premium Outlets.
Rock ‘N Brews received approval from county planners to begin construction on Aug. 30, while Main Event has been under construction since July.
* Also potentially sharing the same space with the two eateries will be Cigars International, which filed site plans on Sept. 5 with the county to build a 9,497-sq. ft. store according to permitting records.
Cigars International, according to its website, is “the King Kong of cigar companies.” It was established in 1996 in Bethlehem, PA, and deals in all things related to cigars. It has a large online presence, and a Wesley Chapel location would only be its fifth store/center, joining two others in Bethlehem, one in Hamburg, PA and one in The Colony, TX.
The store would be flanked by the two roads used to get to Main Event, Rock ‘N Brews and the Saltgrass Steakhouse, which is still only in the planning stages.
* Representatives from 7-Eleven were scheduled to meet with county planners on Sept. 16 to propose building a 3,500-sq.-ft. gas station/convenience store on the southeast corner of Overpass Rd. and Boyette Rd.
* Aldi has begun construction just a little north and west of Costco, and it will be one of two new stores in our area.
Plans have been filed with Hillsborough County to rezone the property of the old Ruby Tuesday off BBD in Highwoods Preserve to make room for a proposed Aldi in New Tampa. — JCC